10 Things You Didn’t Know About “A Christmas Story” (1983)
A Christmas Story is a 1983 American Christmas comedy film directed by Bob Clark and based on Jean Shepherd’s semi-fictional anecdotes in his 1966 book “In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash”. It stars Peter Billingsley as Ralphie, a young boy who dreams of owning an official Red Ryder Carbine-Action 200-Shot Range Model Air Rifle. The film follows Ralphie’s quest to receive the toy for Christmas, struggling against a series of obstacles including a grouchy department store Santa and his mother’s insistence that he will “shoot his eye out.”
The film has become a holiday classic and is often shown on television during the Christmas season. It was a moderate box office success, earning $19 million over its original run, but it has since become an iconic film, ranked number one on Bravo’s “100 Funniest Movies” list and number two in the American Film Institute’s list of the funniest American films of all time.
A Christmas Story – The Cast
The film features an excellent cast, including Peter Billingsley as Ralphie, Darren McGavin as Ralphie’s father, Melinda Dillon as his mother, and the iconic figure of Santa Claus played by Jeff Gillen. The film also spawned a sequel and a Broadway musical.
With that being said, here are 10 things you may not have known about A Christmas Story:
1. The film was almost named “Dude, Where’s My BB Gun?”
2. Peter Billingsley was chosen to play Ralphie in part because the producers thought he looked exactly like Jean Shepherd as a boy.
3. The leg lamp seen in the film is an exact replica of one Shepherd’s mother owned when he was growing up.
4. The family’s home is based on a house located in Hammond, Indiana where Jean Shepherd grew up.
5. The idea for a living room full of presents was taken directly from Shepherds’ childhood recollections.
6. The temperature on the day they filmed the scene where Flick’s tongue gets stuck to the flagpole was -20 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Flick, the boy who gets his tongue stuck to the flagpole, is played by Scott Schwartz, who also appeared in the movie THE TOY with Richard Pryor and Jackie Gleason in 1982
8. The film was shot in the same school used for “Stranger Than Paradise” (1984).
9. It took Bob Clark 18 months to get a studio to finance the film.
10. The movie was a box office success, earning $19 million over its original run. It went on to become a holiday classic, ranked number one on Bravo’s “100 Funniest Movies” list and number two in the American Film Institute’s list of the funniest American films of all time.
A Christmas Story is sure to put you in the holiday spirit! It’s a charming and hilarious classic that’s sure to be enjoyed by viewers of all ages. Whether you’re a fan of the original film or just looking for something fun to watch over the holiday season, this is one movie that should definitely be on your list!
“You’ll Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid” – Santa Claus
A Christmas Story Cast:
- Peter Billingsley – Ralphie Parker
- Darren McGavin – The Old Man Parker
- Melinda Dillon – Mother Parker
- Ian Petrella – Randy Parker
- Tedde Moore – Miss Shields
- Scott Schwartz – Flick
- Jean Shepherd – Ralphie as an Adult (voice)
- R.D. Robb – Schwartz
- Zack Ward – Scut Farkus
- Yano Anaya – Grover Dill
- Jeff Gillen – Santa Claus
Leave a Reply