About The Film
Cry Baby is a 1990 American teen musical romantic comedy-drama film directed by John Waters, and starring Johnny Depp, Amy Locane, Susan Tyrrell, and Traci Lords. The film was produced by Rachel Talalay and distributed by Universal Pictures. Cry Baby was Waters’ first film since Pink Flamingos (1972) that was not an underground film. It was also his first PG-13-rated film.
Set in 1954 Baltimore, the film follows Wade “Cry-Baby” Walker, a rebellious teenager from the wrong side of the tracks whose heated passion for Allison Vernon-Williams, a “square”, leads to a clash of cultures and social norms between their respective groups. The film also features a number of classic 1950s rock and roll songs.
Cry Baby – Inspiration
Waters drew inspiration for Cry Baby from the film Rebel Without a Cause (1955), which starred James Dean. He also was influenced by the works of Elvis Presley, Marlon Brando, and Dennis Hopper. The film grossed over $8 million at the worldwide box office.
The film was generally well-received by movie critics. Rotten Tomatoes has a 73% rating, based on 22 reviews. The site’s consensus states: “John Waters’ homage to ’50s teen melodramas is a sweetly nostalgic, good-natured musical satire that features a breakout performance from Johnny Depp.”
Cry Baby – Awards
The film was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy. Depp won a Golden Globe Award for New Star of the Year – Actor. Tyrrell won a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture.
Cry Baby was released on VHS, Betamax, Laserdisc, and DVD by Universal Studios Home Video.
Fun Facts About Cry Baby
– Waters was inspired by Elvis Presley, Marlon Brando, and Dennis Hopper while making the film.
– The film was originally going to be called “The Wild One”, but the title was already taken.
– Depp dedicated his performance in the film to James Dean, who starred in Rebel Without a Cause (1955).
– Waters cast Traci Lords in the film after she expressed interest in working with him.
– Lords was only 17 years old when she made Cry baby but had to lie about her age in order to get the part.
– The film was shot in Los Angeles, California.
– It was Waters’ first PG-13 rated film.
– The film grossed over $8 million at the worldwide box office.
– The movie was shot in 4 weeks.
– Johnny Depp’s mother Betty Sue was an extra in the film.
– Susan Tyrrell’s character in the film is based on Divine.
– Amy Locane’s character in the film is based on Edie Sedgwick.
– Traci Lords’ character in Cry Baby is based on Marilyn Monroe.
– Iggy Pop makes a cameo appearance in the film as himself.
– Johnny Depp and Traci Lords both went on to star in Edward Scissorhands (1990), which was also directed by John Waters.
CRY BABY CAST
Johnny Depp – Cry Baby
Amy Locane – Allison Vernon-Williams
Susan Tyrrell – Ramona Rickettes
Polly Bergen – Mrs. Vernon-Williams
Iggy Pop – Belvedere Rickettes
Ricki Lake – Pepper Walker
Traci Lords – Wanda Woodward
Kim McGuire – Mona “Hatchet-Face” Malnorowski
Darren E. Burrows – Milton Hackett
Stephen Mailer – Baldwin
Kim Webb – Lenora Frigid
David Nelson – Wanda’s Father
Patricia Hearst – Wanda’s Mother
Willem Dafoe – Hateful Guard
Jonathan Benya – Snare-Drum
Scout Raskin – Susie-Q (as Jessica Raskin)
Robert Tyree – Dupree
Alan J. Wendl – Toe-Joe
Troy Donahue – Hatchet’s Father
Mink Stole – Hatchet’s Mother
Joe Dallesandro – Milton’s Father
Joey Heatherton – Milton’s Mother
Angie Levroney – Dupree’s Girlfriend
Drew Ebersole – Whiffle #1
Kenny Curtis – Whiffle #2
Scott Neilson – Whiffle #3
Robert Walsh – Judge
Jenni Blong – Inga (as Jeni Blong)
If you’re a fan of John Waters or 1950s teen films, then you need to check out Cry Baby. It’s a funny and nostalgic film that will have you laughing and singing along from start to finish. So, if you’re looking for a good movie to watch, make sure to check this gem.
Leave a Reply